EXTRAORDINARY JOINT CALL
THE UNIVERSITY OF SONORA, THE CENTER OF RESEARCH IN FOOD AND DEVELOPMENT, AND THE SCHOOL OF SONORA
CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH PROJECTS WITH IMPACT ON THE COMMUNITIES OF THE SONORA-ARIZONA REGION
With the purpose of strengthening and expanding collaboration between the public universities of Sonora and Arizona, as well as expanding opportunities for the cross-border development of the region through scientific research, the University of Sonora (UNISON), the Research Center in Food and Development (CIAD), the Colegio de Sonora (COLSON), and Arizona State University (ASU), signed an agreement in 2017 for the constitution of the Sonora-Arizona Inter-University Alliance. As a result of this agreement, UNISON, CIAD and COLSON established the "Support fund for the promotion of research on the Sonora-Arizona region", with the purpose of stimulating research and scientific development in the region.
Based on this background, the Sonoran institutions participating in the Sonora-Arizona Inter-University Alliance, invite professors and researchers of the three institutions to participate in the Extraordinary Joint Call to present proposals for interdisciplinary research projects with impact on the communities from the Sonora-Arizona region. The purpose of the call is to stimulate the preparation of research proposals that contribute to the purposes of the fund, which are:
- Deepen the knowledge of the Sonora-Arizona region, its problems and development potential;
- Promote the formation of binational research and collaboration networks among the academics of the convening institutions;
- Promote the interdisciplinary, multidimensional and binational analysis of cross-border problems.
From September 24 and until November 16, 2018, the participating institutions will be accepting applications to compete for the financial support of the mentioned fund. UNISON, CIAD and COLSON will support up to five proposals with a financing of $5,305.48 USD ($100,000 MXN) each, which must be exercised in the course of one year.
Eligibility and selection criteria:
- The professors-researchers of one or several of the constituent institutions of the Fund may form work teams and present proposals in conjunction with professors-researchers from Arizona State University and / or the University of Arizona. Students from El Colegio de la Frontera Norte may also participate as long as the projects refer to the Sonora-Arizona region. The research teams may also include graduate students who are developing research work under the supervision of a professor-researcher in the applicant team.
- Proposals that address strategic issues for the development of the Sonora-Arizona region will be considered, such as: water and energy; economic integration; cross-border management and governance; nutrition, nutrition and public health; development and cross-border social welfare; migration and human rights; security and public policies; cross-border regional tourism; education and culture; sustainable cities and other relevant or high impact issues for the region.
- In order to favor the creation of new binational networks, this time will only support new projects, different from those funded in the previous edition. However, with the exception of the coordinators of the previous projects, the rest of the researchers involved in the projects supported in 2017 will be able to participate as long as they do it through a new project.
- Projects in development that already have another source of funding will not be supported.
- The main deliverable is the preparation of a research proposal ready to be submitted to external sources of financing within a period of 12 months from the date of granting the financing.
- For the evaluation of the projects, the Evaluation Rubric that uses the Arizona State University Cross-Border Communities Program will be used for the selection of projects of its own convocation (https://diie.unison.mx/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Rubrica.pdf), which evaluates: the academic merit, the work plan, and the feasibility of obtaining external funding for the support of the binational research group.
- The proposal must be submitted electronically in PDF format and contain the following elements:
Failure to comply with the compromised deliverables will result in the disqualification of the coordinator and all team members to receive funds from this fund again for up to 5 years.
- Title and summary of the project to be developed.
- Name of the members of the team, institutional affiliation, role of the participants and identification of the person responsible for the project, who must be a professor-a researcher (a) holder of any of the institutions (include CVs of the members of the teams ).
- Project objective, description of the problem it addresses and the way it will impact the well-being of the communities of the region, goals, activities and methodologies of the project, as well as its contribution to some of the central areas of this call (including bibliography).
- Description of how the binational work team will interact and complement during the year of the project (workshops, seminars, videoconferences, etc.)
- Presentation of a work calendar for the development of the proposal.
- Declaration of deliverables at the end of the year of the appeal, one of which must be the project submitted to the fund selected to finance it.
- General breakdown of the required budget.
- Identification of the agency and / or funding source to which the project will be submitted.
- Letter-request for support signed by the team coordinator.
- Letter of institutional endorsement signed by the director of the Division or by the academic authority of the institution.
- Letter of commitment signed by the team coordinator. They commit themselves to comply in time and form with the deliverables that are described in the project.
- The evaluation committee will be composed of two representatives of each participating institution, appointed by the highest authority of the same.
- The Evaluation Committee will rate the proposals and select the five considered of the highest quality and relevance, to receive the financial support and submit them to the Coordinating Committee of the Alliance for its formal opinion.
- The opinion of the Coordinating Committee of the Alliance will be unappealable.
- The resources will be made available to the team through the project leader, who should be responsible for carrying out the corresponding checks.
- The resources will be ministered by the participating institutions under the modalities that they determine.
- The resources can be used in activities that the team defines for the integration of the proposal (organization of bi-national work meetings, payment of per diems of a guest advisor, purchase of materials needed for research such as books or databases, etc.).
- Funds can not be used as payment of compensation from investigators or participating personnel.
- Start of receipt of applications: September 24, 2018.
- Last day to receive applications: November 16, 2018, at 2:00 p.m.
- Publication of results: November 30, 2018.
- Availability of resources: as of January 15, 2019.
- Resources must be exercised for up to 12 months as of January 15, 2019.
Evaluation, monitoring and deliverables:
- The teams that are selected will present a report six months after the publication of the results of this call.
- Must recognize the fund's support in publications and product presentations resulting from the project.
- The supported teams must submit the research protocol submitted to the chosen funding source within a period of 12 months from the date of granting the funds.
- The work teams supported by the Fund will participate in an evaluation meeting with a date to be determined.
- Any matter not considered in this call will be analyzed and resolved by the Coordinating Committee of the Alliance.
Reception of requests:
Universidad de Sonora
Dirección de Innovación e Internacionalización Educativa
Edificio 8C, Tercer Nivel, Hermosillo, Sonora, C.P. 83000
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; please copy firstname.lastname@example.org
Centro de Investigación en Alimentación y Desarrollo
Coordinación de Investigación
Carretera a la Victoria Km. 0.6, Apdo. Postal: 1735, Hermosillo, Sonora, C.P. 83304
El Colegio de Sonora
Dirección General Académica
Avenida Obregón No. 54 Colonia Centro, Hermosillo, Sonora. México, C.P. 83000
If you are interested in participating in binational research and need more information send an email to email@example.com. Please help us to spread the word about this unique opportunity.